Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Importance of Taking Your Pills!

I am not even talking about vitamins here. 

For me, I am talking about my two non-vitamin pills, Prilosec and Wellbutrin.

Surprisingly enough, these two pills are just as important to my WLS success as my vitamins are.  Why?  You ask?

Well, I was diagnosed with depression about 8 years ago.  Through therapy and medication, I've been able to live a healthy and, for the most part, happy life, despite what, for some people, can be a debilitating illness.  Not to say I don't struggle.  Hell, I got to 350 pounds, in large part due to my depression and challenges I've had learning how to cope with some of it's symptoms.  (I learned to cope, just not in the most healthy way.  Eating served it's purpose but it was "hurting" me along the way.) 

In order to assist in my recovery from depression, I take Wellbutrin.  I know there are mixed views on medications.  It took me a long time to decide to go down that path myself and I do not have any intentions of being on them for the rest of my life, if I can so help it.  I have only been on medication intermittently over the last 7 years.  When I find that my disease impedes me from living my normal every day life or I am faced with a rather large and emotional challenge that I am struggling to handle on my own through other means (ie my recent job loss), I do seek medical attention which often will lead to my going back on medications to help me "get over the hump".  Because, when it comes down to it, my brain don't work quite right.  It's chemicals are just a little off key sometimes.  I do know and truly believe this disease can be fought without any sort of chemical substance but I am not yet in the place where I feel I can go it alone so for now I take my minimal dose of Wellbutrin, along with working with a therapist and making healthy choices.

One of the admitted downfalls of taking any medication is that I notice when I've missed a dose, like today.  My morning got off track today and I managed to forget my pills.  While I feel fine emotionally, I do notice my brain skipping around more then it would when I remember my medication.  This skipping around and lack of focus can often lead to grazing and eating whatever's on hand.  Not so good for someone trying to follow her WLS rules.  I am aware of this fact though and am making a conscious and concerted effort to push through the skipping brain and not graze.

The second pill is Prilosec.  This one is to keep my acid reflux in check and it plays an über-vital roll in my WLS success.  You see even after surgery I was always hungry.  I didn't get it.  I would eat and would often end up even more hungry right afterwards.  I thought I was going totally insane or my surgery didn't work so I called my surgeon's office.  To my surprise the PA said it was likely acid reflux.  I was completely confused.  "But my chest doesn't hurt?  There's no burning or strange taste in my mouth?  I'm just hungry!"  She explained that when your stomach is empty, there is no food to help keep the acids down, so when the acids start coming up, your body's own defense mechanism is to ask for food to push it back down.

So, while reluctant, I began her suggested Prilosec regiment and within two weeks time I noticed a vast difference.  No longer was I constantly feeling hungry.  No more did I get hungry immediately after I ate.  I could now actually trust my hunger sensations as they were true cues it was time to eat.  That stickily wig of it though is that one day sans Prilosec and am a ravenous pig!  Like today!  All day long my stomach has been gurgling and bubbling and feeling like it hasn't been fed in days.  I have learned to push through this (it was my own fault for forgetting my pills in the first place) but man does it suck to feel like you are starving all day long! 

It just goes to show how connected all of our parts really are and how important it is to focus on our whole self and not neglect one thing for another.  Wellness for the entire self.

(P.S. If you are struggling with physical hunger I definitely suggest checking with your doctor to see if it might actually be acid reflux.  I am sooo glad I did!)

2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting. I haven't heard about hunger coming from acid reflux. But it makes a tonne of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely food for thought. I am so glad I know now so I can properly manage it.

    BTW Your spelling of "tonne" made me smile as it made me think of my British Beau. :)

    ReplyDelete